Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Cigarettes, Whiskey, Beer and Fast-Food Hamburgers

The Hidden Persuaders, by Vance Packard, 1957
Chapter 5
Self Images for Everybody

People have a terrific loyalty to their brand of cigarette and yet in tests cannot tell it from other brands. They are smoking on image completely.” Research director, New York advertising agency (name withheld upon request).

The subconscious salesmen, in groping for better hooks, deployed in several directions. One direction they began exploring in a really major way was the molding of images: the creation of distinctive, highly appealing ”personalities” for products that were essentially undistinctive. The aim was to build images that would arise before our “inner eye” at the mere mention of the product’s name, once we had been properly conditioned. Thus they would trigger our action in a competitive sales situation.


A compelling need for such images was felt by merchandisers, as I’ve indicated, because of the growing standardization of, and complexity of, ingredients in most products, with result in products that defied reasonable discrimination. Three hundred smokers loyal to one of three major brands of cigarette were given the three brands to smoke (with labels taped) and asked to identify their favorite brand. Result: 35 per cent were able to do so; and under the law of averages pure guesses would have accounted for a third of the correct identifications. In short, something less than 2 per cent would be credited with any real power of discrimination. Somewhat comparable results were obtained when merchandisers tried “blindfold” tests of beer and whiskey drinkers.
----------------------------------------
Reading The Hidden Persuaders in 2007, I don’t find Packard convincing when it comes to cigarettes and whiskey. I’ve been a steady purchaser of these two products for forty years or so. I also am a big purchaser of beer and fast food hamburgers. In all my thousands of purchases of cigarettes, whiskey, beer and fast food hamburgers, I can say confidently that advertising has never had an impact. I shop only on the basis of price and taste, and I can tell my hamburgers apart by taste. Some days I prefer a Whataburger. Some days when I’m in a more frugal mood, I’ll take two MacDonalds double cheeseburgers. On a splurge day, I might have a Wendys with fries. I usually try to avoid Burger King due to the burgers’ overdone charcoal taste, but sometimes stop for the two-for-one deals. If a depth psychologist were to peer deep into my subconscious, he would find little in the way of hamburger advertising or self image brand extensions. On a typical day, I eat a hamburger, drink a beer, smoke a cigarette, and have a bowel movement—all parts of my human condition concerning which I have no pride and would just as soon do without.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Interesting dissection and generalization of buying habits. I wonder if the current marketing "experts" would agree. I know that I seldom agree with them and by experience am usually able to avoid that giant sucking sound.

I agree with your disagreement with Packard's ideas, especially toward cigarettes, whiskey, etc. I buy the same items, and I buy for the same reasons as you do - taste and price. Marketing has nothing to do with it and price is much less of an influence now that I am older and can afford just about anything I want and am willing to shell out the bucks for.

I can certainly tell the difference in taste in different liquors, different whiskeys, and different brands of bourbon. I definitely prefer the taste of some over others. Once again, the only difference now is the ability to pay for what I REALLY like, as opposed to what I can afford.

I'm not certain that my loyalty to cigarette brands is as strong, but I know that if I'm forced to change brands, as I have been several times over the years by the manufacturers, it takes me a period of time to make that slight taste adjustment. (That should have been a good time to quit, eh?) I agree that I am more flexible in my cigarette tastes than my whiskey or hamburger tastes, but I am not terribly forgiving there, either.

Not being a beer drinker, I can't testify to the reasons for beer loyalty, but I know there are certain brands my husband won't drink, mostly because of taste, not marketing, and usually not price. He teaches marketing and he is quite aware of techniques. He is one of the people who teaches those folks the tricks. ;-)

Hamburgers? Mmmm. I wish I could still eat them. But back when I could, I bought the specific hamburger I bought at any given time because it was what sounded good at that place in time. It had nothing to do with advertising or marketing - it was because I was in the mood for that particular taste, period. Even a Big Mac, which I don't consider to be a hamburger, would seem to be the taste de jour on occasion.

I admit that I am probably tempted to try some new products with introductory prices, coupons, or other promotional strategies. But if I don't like it, I don't stay with it, no matter the price or promotion.

But tonight I will probably dream of making love to a Whataburger. With onions, of course.